I don't really know how to start this off, seeing as though I haven't written anything on here in YEARS, but for some reason I felt the need to write something on here today. I don't even know what this post should be titled so I may just leave it untitled. But, I want to talk about not doing things you don't want to do just because you feel obligated to do them for some reason.
When I was in undergrad I used to be in such uncomfortable situations with people I didn't even like (or that didn't like me) out of a sense of "obligation", either because my friends wanted me to be there or for some reason I felt obligated/required to be there. In the last few years I have realized you only have one life to live, so you can't live your life according to whoever's standard or whatever others think you should be doing or how people think you should be acting. Set your own standard. I said that to say I will not put myself into any situations where I am not surrounded by positive and uplifting people.
As a minority, as a woman, you have to protect not only your physical well-being, but also your emotional/mental well-being. You have to consider yourself in everything you do rather it's at work, in your love life, or in your social life. What's the point of being in a potentially awkward situation? What's the point in being in a relationship that doesn't make you happy, or one that has no future? What's the point in taking a job that won't make you happy? If it doesn't make your pockets deeper or make you a happier person, why do it? Again, you only live one life, if you're making a decision you don't feel super good about, then make a different decision.
I'm now at the end of my 20's, and sometimes I wonder if I wasted time on people and things that don't make my pockets deeper, or make me happier. I don't have all of the answers to what I do want, but I do know what I don't want. Do you?
When I was in undergrad I used to be in such uncomfortable situations with people I didn't even like (or that didn't like me) out of a sense of "obligation", either because my friends wanted me to be there or for some reason I felt obligated/required to be there. In the last few years I have realized you only have one life to live, so you can't live your life according to whoever's standard or whatever others think you should be doing or how people think you should be acting. Set your own standard. I said that to say I will not put myself into any situations where I am not surrounded by positive and uplifting people.
As a minority, as a woman, you have to protect not only your physical well-being, but also your emotional/mental well-being. You have to consider yourself in everything you do rather it's at work, in your love life, or in your social life. What's the point of being in a potentially awkward situation? What's the point in being in a relationship that doesn't make you happy, or one that has no future? What's the point in taking a job that won't make you happy? If it doesn't make your pockets deeper or make you a happier person, why do it? Again, you only live one life, if you're making a decision you don't feel super good about, then make a different decision.
I'm now at the end of my 20's, and sometimes I wonder if I wasted time on people and things that don't make my pockets deeper, or make me happier. I don't have all of the answers to what I do want, but I do know what I don't want. Do you?
Comments
Post a Comment